Skip to main content

 Today, I will be responding to the article: "3 Common Myths About Learning- and What Teachers Can Do Instead" by Jonathan G. Tullis.

I found this article on the CPS Online Community of Practice for Educators Facebook page (someone had shared it), and I thought it provided some interesting points. This isn't really related to the topic of blogging, but it sparked my interest a little more than the other articles.

This article emphasizes the importance of using research-based practices in the classroom. Often, as we plan out our units and lessons, we have ideas about what we think is best for students. Perhaps we rely on strategies that we were taught in our own educational journey, or use practices that were used on us in school. Or, we're simply taking advice from other colleagues in the field. But, sometimes what we think is best for students, is either ineffective or could even be detrimental to their learning. 

One example in the article mentions the myth that every person has a different learning style:

" Yet, no good evidence suggests that stable and useful learning styles of students exist. Furthermore, there is zero evidence that students learn better when information is presented in a way that meshes with their chosen preferences. According to research, trying to tailor teaching to match each learner’s preferred mode of processing is a waste of time and resources (Tullis, 2023)."

I remember having conversations with other colleagues that some students are more auditory-processing learners, or some students are more visual, or more tactile. But, there is no evidence to support this theory. What does work, is giving students multiple ways to engage with material. So, as educators we don't need to be tailoring curriculum for individual students. Rather, we should be offering multiple modalities for learning to ALL students, as that will have a positive effect on every student.

I like the message this article shares, as it reminds me to be mindful of my assumptions and biases, and stick to what the data shows.

-Hattie

Citations:

Tullis, J. G. (2023, June 22). 3 common myths about learning-and what teachers can do instead. Edutopia. https://www.edutopia.org/article/common-myths-learning


Comments

  1. Great article, thank you for sharing. As a side note I love that you do photography on the side as well.
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hattie,

    I really enjoyed reading your chosen article and your reflection on it. I also remember conversations about learning styles, both as a school staff member and back when I was a child myself. I've even seen IEPs that reference a preferred style. It's so important to remember UDL, and that all students will benefit from multiple approaches to learning new information.

    Have a nice week!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Digital Literacy and Citizenship

- "Nothing vast enters the life of mortals without a curse." - Sophocles My high school juniors just began reading Ray Bradbury's,  Fahrenheit 451 . A part of the assessment will ask students to evaluate the relevancy of Bradbury's message: What did Bradbury get right, and where did he miss? We will also watch the Netflix documentary, The Social Dilemma to deepen the connection to the impact of modern technology. Both of these resources tackle the topic of technology from a heavy, critical perspective. Both of them allude to the destruction of society due to people's reliance on media, as well as their lack of awareness, or even caring, that they are being controlled by major corporations or the government. No big deal... In all seriousness, while I think students should be aware of the dangers of modern technology, I don't want them to walk away with a lack of hope in our future generations. Students need to know that bullies, predators, fake news platforms, ...

Teaching Hard History

 One of the things that struck me about this week's topic is how challenging it must be for K-8 educators to teach hard history. It's challenging at any age, but I feel there are more resources and guidance for high school teachers to address these topics than there are for educators of younger students. Also, the idea of even presenting a topic like slavery to 3-5th graders sounds really intimidating to me. What I loved about our Teaching Hard History resource this week as that it really breaks down not only age appropriate topics, but also age appropriate language when speaking to children about these topics.  For example, the three Essential Knowledge points below all address the economic pursuits of enslavers, but the language is presented quite differently depending on the grade level. Essential Knowledge Point number 7.B for K-2 students states: Although most enslaved people could not make money from their work, their enslaver did (A Quick Reference Guide... p. 7) . Esse...

Social Studies Through the Lens of K-8 Learners

  For this week's blog topic, we were asked to reflect on what we have learned from our readings and research and through the lens of K-8 learners and their learning needs in today's world. We were also asked to reflect on a specific strand and theme. I will reflect on the strand: World History and Contemporary Issues. For the theme, I will reflect on: Theme E: Cultural Development, Interaction, and Change “This theme investigates the systems of beliefs, knowledge, values, and traditions as well as practices. As cultures interact or collide, each culture is impacted by adaptation, assimilation, acculturation, diffusion, and conflict (The New Hampshire…, p 8).” For starters, this week I learned what strands and themes were… Because I am on a Site Based Learning Plan for acquiring my Social Studies certification, I am learning piece by piece. I have reviewed the standards for social studies, but I have never looked at the various themes. Glad I was able to identify these componen...